A Day In The Life of Roberto Mandje

Posted 03/14/2013 via - RecoFit Compression

G’day and thanks for stopping by.  My name is Roberto Mandje and I’m an Olympian distance runner.  I’m originally from Spain but have made Boulder my home for the past eight years.  This is my first of hopefully many blog postings so I figured I’d take you, dear reader, through one of my training days.

A typical day (in this case, Monday) starts around 8 a.m., at which point my lovely fiancée has turned into a DJ and remixed her alarm enough times to warrant a Grammy nomination.  Exiting the comforts of my warm bed, I usually look out the window and at my iphone’s weather app to determine how much complaining and groaning is justified before the day’s training ensues.  I’ll normally head straight to the living room and have a small breakfast while catching up on emails, BBC World Radio’s live feed and, of course, social media. After breakfast, I finally take off my RecoFit full-leg sleeves (in which I sleep most nights, and especially after hard training days) and — depending on the weather — jump into my Ninja outfit – aka tights, beanie, gloves, etc.  and I’m out the door by 9 a.m.

Mondays are my easier days, and I’ll head out for eight to 10 miles.  I’ll usually do this via the Boulder Creek Path, as it’s nice and flat.  In the winter, it also provides the best footing.  I’ll break up that run with a short stop by the steep, short hill that leads to the University of Colorado football stadium, where the Bolder Boulder 10k finishes each Memorial Day.  I’ll run anywhere from 10-15 repeats at 95% effort, taking my sweet time walking back down.  (For more on the benefits of these type of hill sprints, read this article, written by my former coach click here )

Feet up between training sessions

Feet up between training sessions

Afterwards, I return home to grab a PowerBar and then shower.  I’ve been known to hop in the shower with food in my hand!  Most days, I’ll then plop down on the couch for an hour or two and recover.  This is also when I’ll catch up with my family overseas via Skype, write emails and maybe do some coding and programming, all while sporting my white RecoFit calf sleeves.  I reserve them for lounging around the house to keep them looking nice!

Around 1 p.m., I head to the RallySport Gym to minimize any and all weaknesses.  A typical gym session lasts from 45 minutes to two hours.  On Mondays and Thursdays I’ll work on core and upper body with some weights; Tuesdays and Fridays are hard running/workout/sessions when I’ll work on core and lower-body weights (squats, lunges, etc.).  Sometimes I’ll swim or spin after a gym session.

I’ll stagger back home around 3 p.m. and — wait for it — plop down on the couch.  During the dead of winter, from which we’re now emerging, I know I won’t have much daylight to muck around with, so after only 60 to 90 minutes of “down” time, I start my final run of the day.  Now it’s time for my black RecoFit calf sleeves!  These are my favorites for trail running, asthey don’t show the ridiculous amount of mud I end up painting my calves with.  If the trail isn’t overly covered in snow and mud, I’ll normally head out for eight to 10 miles via Wonderland Lake Trail, crossing Lee Hill Road (passing by Casa de RecoFit, aka owner Susan’s home),  and run to Boulder Valley Ranch’s Eagle Trail.  From my home it’s all uphill until the turn-around – and then all downhill back!

After racing the sunset home like some sort of reverse vampire, my training day is officially over by 5:30 p.m.  I often just sit on the floor, zone out, go over a mental checklist of the day’s training, take stock of any aches/soreness/niggles and think about what’s on my social agenda for the evening, and ponder the next day’s tough running session.

Being a Barcelona boy, I’ve always enjoyed eating a late dinner and watching some Futbol.  Just before bed I’ll review scores from La Liga, write more emails and get to bed by 11 p.m.  I’ll once again pull on my full-legged RecoFit sleeves and officially close the book on another day of training.

Cheers for following along on my typical day!  Until next time – Roberto